Thursday, August 17, 2006

A spinster at 21?!?!

The past 48 hours have been crazy! Work has been good, but hectic. We're taking the kids to a basketball tournament on Friday, so I'm praying that that goes well. For the past two mornings before work, I've been researching schools for after I graduate from my undergrad, and a few look promising. Some ever have a strong Christian Fellowship, which I'm starting to realize in going to be very important.
Lately, a lot of my friends have been getting married. Every single person in my old youth group at school (long story!) is married, and they're all my age, some even younger. Sunday at church there was a special speaker, so members from other congregations in the area came, and a lot of the girls I went to Bible Camp with when I was young were there- all married or engaged. The whole day I heard "I'm so-and-so, and this is my husband/fiance Bob". I'm thinking in my head "I'm Lauren, and ... it's just me!". Don't get me wrong, I'm happy they're happy and married to great guys. It's just slighty depressing that at 21 I'm already a "spinster" (it's a good thing I like cats!). All the good guys are being snatched up! Ok, I just realized I sound really superficial and flighty worrying about this. It's just an observation! My best friend and I were talking about this tonight, and about how few Christian guys there are, and apparently they're all married! Is it so hard to find a Christian guy, preferably one who likes sports, animals and is funny? I usually don't obsess about things like this; I mean, yes I want to get married, but I'm only almost 21 (one more month!), so by the time I graduate and get a career started, I'm going to be left with the weird old guy that sits in the back pew. Haha, I'll be Mrs. Backpew. Now that I've made myself sound really needy (none of us are perfect), I'll just say that getting married is something that I, like every other little girl, wanted, so it just made me a little sad that I'm kind of being left in the dust in that area.
Now, a more serious note, and a cute story. One of the girls (Diane) at the centre is having a hard time making friends with the other girls, so I try to hang out with her as much as I can. I never talk about my faith at work unless I'm asked because I feel that work is the place to live by example, and because there are so many kids from different backgrounds there. Diane and I were making a village out of sand in the playground today, and out of nowhere she looked at me and said "you know Lauren, I don't believe in God". I treaded VERY carefully on this topic, and after a while we just sort of switched subjects. By the time we finished our village, the sun was going down and she watched the sunset and then said "although the sky is very pretty right now, so it would be nice to know it was God doing that for us". (On side note, it made me smile when I saw the pictures of sunsets on David Fisher's blog, and then again on Terry's!) Amen to that! If only we could see the world through the eyes of a child once in a while.

But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 40:31

God bless-

*L

2 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren...What a beautiful write up!!

That is so nice that you are spending extra time with Dianne..I know how much she will be appreciating it Lauren.

Coming from a large family of nine children and with my parents not being well off, it was always so nice when an older person would befriend us and treat us special.
Perfect strangers would eventually become our good friends!

As for being a spinster, I myself was not married until I was 22. When My boy friend and I went into city hall to enquire about a wedding licence was I ever annoyed!
On my sheet it had a place to fill in the slot.."Spinster's name" and on the slot that Bernie had to fill in it said, "Bachelor's name"..

Now in MY day you were considered an old maid if you were 18 and NOT married but I disagree with that now.

21? You have lots of time Lauren.

And another thing it WAS hard to find a Christian guy and it was even harder in Ottawa...being as in that city, it is a govenment town, where there were ten girls to every guy, so when I finally did meet that guy, I am very ashamed to say that I was probably the one that popped the question!! HA...But for good reason I must add; My family was moving to St. Catharines so I had to be sure that the guy would eventually follow.
He did... a year later do just that and moved in with my parents in Welland.

Betty and I lived in St Catharines.

When Bernie and I got married about a year later, my little mother informed me that she had lost a son, "the best helper she had ever had" she said!
Something doesn't quite add up here Lauren.. What about losing a daughter?!!I know I wasn't that much of a helper but after all I WAS the daughter!!...

Now all of this happened over 34 years ago!!!....Love Terry

PS1..Thank you for commenting on my blog Lauren..

PS2.. Old saying from one of my aged friends..."Marry in haste...Repent at your leisure!!"

Laura said...

Hi Lauren-Mary!

I was just reading over some of your old posts and this one caught my eye!! I understand where you are coming from, as I am a 26-year-old (almost) spinster. Most of my close friends are either married, engaged or in the early years of parenthood! I figure by the time I have a child, my friends' children will likely be old enough to babysit my children...LOL! I find myself hanging out with my younger sister and her friends, since most of them are still living the single life.

I struggle with being single on kind of an up and down basis. Sometimes it bothers me, other times I am thankful that I am on my own, doing my own thing. When I think back over what I have done and accomplished since I was 20, I know I wouldn't have done half it, had I been married and thinking for 2 instead of 1!

And I know that God has a perfect plan, and He knows the desires of my heart, and in that I take my comfort!

Take Care Lauren-Mary!

Laura