Thursday, August 24, 2006

Apples and Post-Its

A few years ago there was an e-mail forward that circulated around and found its way into my inbox. It was a story about how women are like apples. The basic idea of the story is that the best apples are at the top of the tree, and only the best men will patiently climb the tree to get to the best "apples", and the lazy ones will simply take the ones within reach. The goal behind the story was to make women feel better about themselves and not to feel badly about not having a man. (I tried to find a copy of the e-mail to post, but I can't find my copy!). I was thinking about this when I was at work. As luck would have it, one of the girls at work this summer was the girl my first boyfriend dated after me. She's absolutely GORGEOUS, and she intimidates me (I've always been really intimidated by women that guys oogle- silly isn't it?!?). I found out today that she's actually a model, and all I could think of was "oh great, your first boyfriend moved on to a model!". This was about five years ago, so I don't even think she's made the connection.
When Chelsea and I were out for breakfast, one of the things we discussed was the lack of support and resources for women our age (and maybe older too? I don't know; I've never really asked!) who are struggling in their relationship with the Lord. I know when I was a teen I really needed more than what was available. I've been searching in vain for a good devotional book. One of the things I've always to start was a youth group for teen girls to talk about a whole pile of issues and to get Christian direction on them.
These two thoughts led me to stray away from the book of Matthew for today's devotion and look into verses on women in the Bible. I found a verse that I wished I'd found and memorized when I was young:

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised"
- Proverbs 31:30

I'm writing this verse on a Post-It and sticking it to my mirror!

In His love;

*L

3 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren, here is the quote...

Women are like apples on the tree.
The men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and don't want to get hurt.
Instead they just get the rotten ones from the ground that aren't so good but easy.
So the apples at the top think there is something wrong with them, when in reality they are amazing.
They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who's brave enough to climb all the way to the top because they value quality..

Remember Lauren-Mary...That lovely verse that you quoted is truly about a virtuous woman..in not just man's eyes but God's eye too which is far more important!... Love Terry

Ps I remember when I was a kid that one of the preachers at a Bible conference was talking about people in general being apples in a tree.
He told us that without fail the reddest and shiniest apples were in the top of the tree because they were the closest ones to the SUN!!
Of course you know what he was talking about, eh!
Stay close to the SON!!

May the Lord give his blessings to you Lauren...

Terry said...

Have a nice weekend Lauren-Mary....Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I couldn't sleep tonight so I randomly looked through blogs and found yours. I'm not a Christian but I'm always open to hearing (and reading) about it. I'll check back later and read more.

LESLIE