Monday, August 14, 2006

It's called doing the RIGHT thing for a reason!

Was it Mark Twain who said that you can live off a compliment for a month? A month seems like a long time, but today I got a compliment that should keep me smiling for a few days at least. I work at a youth drop-in centre for children from low-income households, and part of our job description includes being a role model and a positive influence in the community (that fact was said over and over at our job trainings!). My co-worker and I have very different views on what this means, which has become evident over the past two weeks. A TV was donated to our centre, so from time to time we let the kids watch a movie or play Nintendo. My co-worker (I'll refer to him as CW!) brought in South Park two weeks ago for them to watch. I, up until that point, had never seen it, although I had heard some kids when I was in high school quoting it, and it sounded stupid. CW reassured me that it was all fine and dandy, and he put it on. About five minuted into it, I was beyond offended. The show was full of racial slurs, derogatory terms, insults to women, and (this is when they took it WAY too far), they made jokes about Christopher Reeve and Michael Jackson/child abuse. I turned it off, and my first fight with CW started up. I believe that this isn't just a Christian vs. non-Christian disagreement, but just common sense! Jokes about any of the before mentioned topics are not appropriate anywhere, at any time, especially at a youth centre filled with 10-13 year olds! CW kept trying to put it on, and I keep turning it off. I tried to have logical talks with him about it, but when I was getting nowhere I talked to my boss. She completely agreed with me and was happy I told her, and I am happy to report that there has been no more South Park at our centre!
So, today we each had a meeting with our boss and the co-ordinators to discuss our most recent employee evaluation. In my comments: "you are a responsible, mature leader, and your judgment skills are an asset to the kids and the community". Now, I hate people who brag, so I wasn't even going to talk about this at all, but I changed my mind because I think I deserve to be happy about this! I took a stand for what is right, which is something I've always struggled with, and it paid off! YEAH:) I've been praying about this my whole life, and the Lord truly does answer prayer. In the grand scheme of things this is small, but everyone has to start somewhere. It is such a great reassurance to know that the Lord is watching over and guiding me as I try to figure it all out.

In keeping with the theme of doing what is right, my daily verse is:

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love and in purity.
- 1 Timothy 4:12

In all the times I've been to a youth group (whether at my own in high school or visiting a friend's) I've never heard anyone speak on this verse, but I think it's so important for all of us, even those who don't qualify as "young" anymore!

On a completely un-related note, my cat has decided that there is no better place in the world to scratch than my mom's couch. The poor guy is now banished to the basement when no one is home. Poor little guy. Anyone know how to break this habit? He has his own scratching post, and more toys than a spoiled child. I go back to school in a few weeks, and I'll feel even more guilty than I usually do leaving him if I know he's spending his days in the basement.

In Christ;

*L

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren...After I read your good comment on David Fisher's blog site... I came right away to YOUR blog site and read your whole blog before I wrote to you..
You are so young.. I just wish that when I was 20 I had such a deep understanding of the scriptures and understanding of people that you have..and the courage which made you speak up for what you felt was wrong..
I would say that your parents would be very proud of you!!

As far as dances are concerned although I never really went to them..I must admit that I surely did love the polka when we took it in Phys Ed!! Ha!! Don't tell nobody, Lauren, but I could do a mean polka dance in my day!!
I have to tell you something else Lauren and it is so fumnny...

A few months ago when my little niece was married to an Italian fellow...the music was so nice that they were dancing to.
My little mother, the grandmother of the bride, who I must say never approved of any of us kids GOING to dances. came to me where I was sitting and said to me..."Well Terry, I think it is about time for me to be going home!".. I said, "Why so early mom?" and SHE said, "Because I feel like dancing!!" Ha!!
The Italian are such a fun loving people and the songs were so nice and my mom felt like DANCING...and to top it all off Lauren, she is 76 years old!!!!

Now about that poor little kitty. It is a real shame that he has ben abandoned to the basement.
I know that I never wanted it to be done but my husband had our cat declawed. I really didn't agree with him but it was done. Now the cat doesn't scratch the furniture.
If you had a spray bottle of water around and squirted the cat whenever he scratched the furniture, that would eventually work... But this does take time...
I hope that you succeed!!

Really nice talking to you Lauren!! From Teresa Shirkie