Sunday, August 20, 2006

designer belts vs. belts of truth

Yet another Lord's day comes to an end. It's so hard to believe that the summer is coming to a close!
Today in church the speaker made a joke about how he was in such a rush this morning that he had forgotten to put on a belt, but that he was happy he was always wearing his belt of truth. That statement popped back into my head as I put away my clean laundry and sorted my clothes. I suppose I'm what some may call a "fashion freak"- I absolutely love it. It's my amateur passion. I'm embarrassed to admit that I recently saw "The Devil Wears Prada" and was able to identify all the clothes and their designers. My passion for clothes definitely balance out my passion for sports, and keep me from being labelled a tomboy (although I'm thinking the pj's I wear to a 5am practice aren't going to be sweeping the runways anytime soon!). My biggest weakness are shoes, and many will argue that I have a few too many pairs. My feet will (hopefully!) always be fitted with shoes, but will they always be "fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace"? I know that nothing is for sure, but by the grace of God I'm hoping so. Wearing the belt of truth will always be better than wearing any belt that I could find in a store.
This afternoon I sat down and began to write out my testimony, and it's taking much longer than I anticipated. I always thought my testimony was pretty short and sweet (and slightly boring), but it turns out it's longer than I originally thought! Tomorrow morning I have a breakfast date with Chelsea, and then I work until late, but hopefully it will be done in a day or two so I can post it.

Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
- Ephesians 6:13-17

May we all remember to wear our belts of truth-

*L

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-Mary...
So good about the belt of truth..
I guess maybe the Lord allowed the
speaker to forget his belt so that he would be given a good message!

It is OK to be a fashion freak.
I never had the time myself because I am always tearing around with a camera in my hand, hair flying all over the place!

I DO envy a couple of my sisters sometimes though because they always look so cute.
In fact my sister Betty is like you.
She loves to buy clothes and shoes and lots of purses..every color you can imagine!!
Sometimes my husband says to her.."Why do you look so cute today Betty?"
Of course this doesn't bother me Lauren.
After all the truth has to come out,eh?

Now those PJ's you wear to 5am practice..why aren't they the latest rage?
I have seen a lot of youngsters wearing them in public everywhere and I don't think they look so bad. They are after all just kids!!
I think it is in poor taste when older people try to copy the younger fad styles.
That is when they look really bad!!
We older folk had our day and now it is time for the teenagers to have theirs as long as the clothes are modest.

I, for one am looking forward to your testimony Lauren-Mary.
It may seem long to you because after you have been saved you remember things that you had not thought of before you were saved. Instant salvation but a lot of story behind it!!....Love Terry