Friday, August 18, 2006

Psalms, Proverbs and Isaiah

Finally, I managed to get on to the Internet! Are computers really supposed to make our lives easier? Tonight, the Internet kept going up and down, and then sites wouldn't load...and then I just got so frustrated that I walked away, which I why I'm posting so late! I'm assuming that since it's just after midnight that this will show Friday's date, but I'm considering this Thursday's post. Speaking of computers, apparently there is a re-call on my laptop because people have been reporting that the battery will randomly go up in flames. It reminded me of the story from the Bible of the burning bush. One minute you're typing away, or walking past a bush, and the next minute it's up in flames! Although I suppose I can't classify my burning laptop as a religious experience of any sort!
I was flipping through my Bible today, and I couldn't help but take note of the fact that it appears most of my favourite verses fall in three books: Psalms, Proverbs and Isaiah. I've really been relying on verses from these books lately, and I find myself quoting them in my head. I guess it's natural to have parts of the Bible which apply more to you than others. I hesitate to say that the verses in these three books are more "important", because every word in the Lord's Word is important. I have verses underlined in green (for those who missed that post: all my favourites are in green) throughout the Bible, so I'm not limiting myself to a studying just a small section. In fact, my devotions don't take me to those three books very often. When I was younger, I loved hearing stories from the New Testament, which we studied from a lot in Sunday School. Now that I'm getting older, and in a place in my life where people constantly question my beliefs and I'm struggling to keep a stand, verses of encouragement are always a relief to read. Has anyone else ever felt pulled to a certain section of the Bible, or a book in particular? I have no clue if I'm unique in this or not!
The basketball tournament is tomorrow, so I'm praying like crazy it goes well. The kids were practicing all night tonight!

For my daily verse, I read over a lot of my highlighted verses from the three books, and I've picked this one:

He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
- Psalms 62:6

God bless;

*L

2 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren... I also like Psalms.. I like the book of Ruth and I love the book of Luke.

In Luke there are so many references to "immediately".

I am so guilty of this in my own life for hesitating, but the Lord is always right on time and gets things done right away!

One thing though that I didn't hesitate for once in my life was when I finally knew that not only was I a sinner..[I think I always knew THAT], but I was a LOST sinner..nothing I could do about saving myself!!!

Well then I read this in in Luke 15 and 20..."And He arose, and came to his father.
But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck and kissed him."
I will never forget that day Lauren...It was June 20, 1967. I was 17 years old.

I just wish that I would be as bright as I was that day and more obedient to the Lord.

I hope that you will always put Him first in your life as it seems that you are doing now and He will certainly bless you!!

You are a blessing to your readers!!
You are a blessing to ME!!!.....With Christian love, Terry


PS...Yes that is way to bad about the lap tops. It has worried Katy considerably because my sister, Betty and I both bring lap tops into work and she tells us.."Now don't be leaving them on!!"
So we are pretty careful!

Very good reference in the Bible about the "burning bush"!!

It just seems Lauren that you aren't wasting anything in regards of lessons from the Lord!!!

Hey that is as good as a parable!!
The Lord surely did use a lot of parables, didn't he?

Of course I don't think the prodigal son was a parable... Because I was that prodigal. It is a story about ME..I was lost and now I am found!!..

I will say good night now...Hmm... It is 4 in the morning!! Just got up for a few minutes...Better head back to bed...

Best wishes for your team and hope you win!....T. S.

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Terry-

Just wanted to say thanks again for checking out my humble blog. It encourages me that people are reading what I write and sharing their stories too!
I've been trying desperately to keep the Lord first in my heart and my life, and it makes it easier to share my thoughts and/or concerns on my blog!
Thank you also for sharing the story of when you accepted the Lord into your heart. I always love to hear that story from people, because I find it is a moment that most people speak passionately about, and you always get to learn new things about someone. I think I'll sit down and think about when I found salvation, and share it here soon.

-Lauren