Saturday, August 12, 2006

Handing over the reins

Today was actually interesting. My day started out with a trip out to visit the horses I'm taking care of this summer. As a side note, I was upset over the fact that I couldn't afford to ride this summer (anyone who knows the sport will be able to tell you it's a no-go on a student budget!) until a friend of a friend knew someone who was looking for someone knowledgable to look after and help train her horses (and one pony!). The best part? It was for free! Yet another example of how the Lord provides. Anyways, back to the point. I usually don't read a lot of signs while I drive, but today as I drove through the small town the barn is located in, I found myself glancing at the occasional sign. The one outside the church read "Hand over the reins, because God reigns". I laughed, because it was a pun involving riding, which I was on my way to do. Once I was out riding though, my mind wandered back to this statement, and I realized that it is indeed very true (and can even be applied to both Jeremiah 29:11 and the story about me being upset over horses). We need to stop trying to control our lives and give God the ultimate control. After all, life is much better if we let God in and give our lives over to Him.
I got an e-mail today from my best friend, who's been having a hard time with her boyfriend. She recently decided that they should break up, and long story short, he's not in agreement with her decision. My best friend is the nicest person I know, and one of the strongest Christians, and so I know this has been hard on her. She has asked for my prayers for her situation. In an attempt to help encourage her, I looked through my Bible and found a verse that I really love, and I think I'll end with it today!

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble".
- Psalm 46:1

I know that the Lord is my refuge and my strength, and I will happily hands the reins over to Him!

God bless-

*L

No comments: