Monday, August 21, 2006

The pleasantness of friends

Friends truly are a blessing! Breakfast (which ended around 1, so I guess it can’t really be limited to just breakfast) was more than a success!
I’m the first person to admit that I am not the perfect Christian; I’m human, I falter, and I sin. I freely admit to that. But thinking it in my head and actually saying it out loud are two VERY different things. Today was the first chance for me in a while to just let it all out and know that the person sitting across from me may disagree but never judge. I got so much off my chest, and was so relieved to hear that my best friend felt the same and was in the same place! As I get older and older, I really realize the importance of fellowship more and more.
As for the rest of the day, I just don’t even know where to begin. When I’m at school and I’m feeling overwhelmed, my own personal coping mechanism is just to wrap myself on my fleece blanket and lie on my bed for five minutes and think of nothing (preferable while cuddling with a cat!). Today would qualify as a “fleece blanket day”. The co-worker (previously referred to as CW) was going through all the stuff being thrown out by the teachers (our centre is based in a school) and stumbled across a child’s prayer book. Obviously religious material is no longer allowed in schools, which is how the book found its way into the trash. Then came the hour long rant from CW about how stupid everything was, and mocking it insistently, all the while knowing he was in the presence of a Christian. I’m so bad at confrontations so I did my best to stop it, but I really hate the way that I couldn’t take this amazing stand and be able to deflect all the comments. I just felt like I was standing there repeating the same things over and over. I don’t think I would have listened to me if I were in his place. I need my fleece blanket! Why oh why did I leave it at school?
I guess my mantra for the day will be “focus on the good”; I had a great five hour (yes, we like to talk!) breakfast with Chelsea, and I managed to speak up somewhat about my beliefs, which is a big step for me. But still, it’s frustrating.

THANKS CHELSEA for the love and support today…my daily verse goes out to you!

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one’s friend springs from his earnest counsel.
- Proverbs 27:9

God bless-

*L

3 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-Mary...so nice!! I am on my way to work ....Will talk to you tomorrow. Love Terry

Terry said...

Aww!! you don't sound like you are whining at all here Lauren!!
You are just being honest and THAT in itself is hard for just everyone to be!
I can see why you were annoyed about that little book being thrown out.
It really irks me to no end that the pucblic schools have not only got rid of the Bible,they have also taken "God" out of our national anthem, and no more
"Lord' Prayer" and no more "God Save Our Queen"..
It is just pitiful that our children are being denied these things.
I think if I had children going to school nowadays, I would probably put them into a Catholic school where at least the kids are learning hte Bible.
Strangest thing too, when I went to school every child except for the Catholic children was given a Gideon New Testament in grade five...not any more Lauren-Mary...
You know who gets them now?..the Catholic kids!! Love Terry

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Terry! It's funny how things get turned around!
I agree that it's sad that religion is being taken out of schools. Since I'm hoping to be a teacher, I've been looking in to some Chrisian schools in the area. It would be nice to be in a school environment that is Christian!