Sunday, August 27, 2006

Frank Outlaw and 2 Peter

I always find it amazing how the Lord always knows what is in my heart. Today the reading during the hymns was from Matthew 8, the chapter I read last night! Then, the speaker referenced Ephesians 6 (so did last week’s speaker, which is kind of funny!). I just wrote a post this week about how I want my feet “fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace” and the speaker today talked for a while on that exact section of the verse.
I’ve been feeling so overwhelmed lately about how much I still have to know and learn and that I’ve been such a distant Christian. I’ve been really praying about this lately and the Lord has definitely heard my prayers, because the message was about the importance of equipping ourselves with knowledge. Part of the message was that gaining knowledge takes time and we have the let the Lord direct our paths and trust Him to help us learn. It was such a fantastic message, and very reassuring. I had an amazing talk with the speaker afterwards too and he gave me some great passages to look up.
I absolutely love quotes, especially motivational ones, and I have a book where I write down all my favourites (I also have one for my verses) and I was reminded of one of my favourites today in church:

Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your actions. Watch your actions; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character for it will become your destiny.
- Frank Outlaw

I was reminded of this quote when we read from 2 Peter today, and this verse was read:

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
- 2 Peter 1:5-7

Even though these two quotes give different advice, I just love the way that they have similar styles, and that I can apply them both to my life.

Now that I’ve taken the time to sit back and recognize the blessings and direction that the Lord has given me and my life, I’m amazed at the way all my needs are met!

In His Love;

*L

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-Mary..That was a really good comparison that you noticed here.
I have heard the Frank Outlaw quote before but I never knew who wrote it, and as far as the verse in 2 Peter, it certainly IS a beautiful one but I find it so hard to obtain it for myself... Love Terry

Thanks so much for visiting my blog...And thanks for your kind words and wishes..