Tuesday, October 10, 2006

"Love thy neighbour"...easier said than done

Last night I was looking forward to going to bed early, drinking a relaxing tea and reading a book- the perfect way to wind down after a long week-end. Sadly, my perfect evening came to an end when I was brushing my teeth.
Remember my problems with the girl across the hall? One of the things that drives me nuts is that she'll go away for days at a time and leave food out. I've always been paranoid that she'll attract rats or something and that they will find their way over to my place. We each have our separate apartments, but both of our back doors connects to a small landing that connects to the bathroom we share. I was standing in the bathroom with the door open brushing my teeth and minding my own business, when all of a sudden I see a mouse slide out from under the door leading to her apartment, scurry across the landing, and shimmy its way under my door. Every front door in the building is like any regular front door, but the connecting back doors are like a bedroom door- slightly off the ground. The mouse had more than enough room to easily slide under the door. It took me a few seconds to actually comprehend what had happened! Then I had a sinking feeling in my stomach- my two cats were in the apartment.
I have my own cat back at my parent's house, but here at school my landlord takes in the cats that no one else wants from the Humane Society, and during the school year I take care of two of them. One of them is developmentally delayed, so I wasn't worried about him catching the mouse. The other one is a hunter. I really didn't feel like dealing with a mouse corpse, or worse yet a half-dead mouse, so I ran in to my room to save the mouse. The mouse was hiding underneath my dresser and Gigi (one of the cats) had her paw as far in as it could go. The mouse ended up being chased back into the other apartment. Today I made a trip to Canadian Tire and bought a mouse trap (the humane ones, of course) in case he decides to come back. I also had another chat about leaving food out with the girl across the hall, but once again that conversation didn't go well.
It wasn't the mouse that made it an unpleasant event. I love mice and everything in the mouse family- I rescued two hamsters two years ago when their owner was going to flush them down the toilet (which makes me angry every time I think about it). I horseback ride, and worked at the barn for years(I still cover the occasional shift when I can), so mice are a fact of life for me! Mice belong in barns; with all the hay, horse food and country living, it's like a mouse haven. My building should NOT be a mouse haven. It annoyed me to no end that I've been saying all year that leaving food out would attract mice, and it did! I'm a clean person, so I don't want to deal with this when it's not because of me.
There, it felt so much better to vent and get that off my chest!
Leviticus 19:17-18 says :
"Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbour frankly so you will not share in his guilt. Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbour as yourself".
Well, let's just say that's easier said than done! I guess that will have to be my mission for the week. Keep praying for me as I try to love the girl across the hall!

Off to check on my mouse traps...

Love In Christ;

*L

8 comments:

Terry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terry said...

Dear Lauren-Mary..I am getting pretty bad at this!!
I had just written you a nice comment to this good post and it got sent without me even being able to correct my spelling mistakes!!
I guess I am going to have to remember what I said and write it again.. so here goes!!

Where do you find humane mouse traps Lauren-Mary?
I can't kill mice either.
One of the girls at work feels the same way.
Last week she brought in a little gadget that you plug into the wall and it scares mice away. Apparently it gives off a high sound that the mice don't like so they run somewhere else..Ha!! Probably to the next room!!

I hate those ugly traps that are baited with peanut butter and kill the poor creatures so cruelly.
Last year I brought my Katy in some really good butter tarts and I heard that they used them to bait one of the traps with and Betty told me that they caught a big huge RAT!!
I felt so guilty and that is the last time I brought in any tarts!

I don't mind snakes or spiders Lauren-Mary but as far as mice are concerned, I am a typical woman..EEK!!
When I am sitting at Katy's and one or two speed by almost touching my ankles, I jump and Katy always laughs and calls me a coward!!

In the winter we get rats at Katy's.
They sneak into the house through the drain pipes.
After all Katy's back yard IS Lake Ontario.
Rat City, itself!!

Last night I had to smash a big spider web that had been built by a busy little creature on the outside light.
I don't usually do this but I could see that there were about half a dozen delicate little moths fluttering, helplessly in the web, trying to escape.
It looked so nice to see them fleeing from their death trap after I had broken up the web.
They flew away freely into the evening air, no doubt looking for a safer bed to sleep in!
This reminds me so much of the Lord Jesus.
No matter what webs that we, His children have gotten ourselves entangled in, He will surely break those traps and rescue us..EVERY TIME!!

Have a good evening Lauren-Mary and don't go worrying about that girl.
Maybe you two will become friends one of these days and your good testimony will speak words to her. One of the preachers used to tell us kids that we are the only Bible that some people are reading....Love Terry

Noel said...

As I write this comment, I want you to know that I am laughing with you, not at you...That being said, I'm curious how "developmentally delayed" cats act. I can't get this comical picture out of my head as I try to wipe this grin out of my face. Sorry.. he he. I'm glad you were able to get this frustration off your chest.

Lauren-Mary said...

Terry- I bought my humane mouse trap at good old Canadian Tire!

Noel- let's just say Jack (the developmentally delayed cat) is one of a kind! For instance, when he falls he doesn't land on his feet but usually splats right on his back or his side, depending on how he fell. A lot of the time he seems like he's in his own little world, but he's the most affectionate cat I've ever had. At times he'll randomly crash in to things or misjudge size or height, so I'm always worrying about him falling or him getting hurt by running in to something. We found him in the middle of last winter by a highway- someone had abandoned him when he was only about 4 weeks old, along with his sister. Sadly, his sister died, but Jack pulled through. He was a very sick little boy for a long time, but we nursed him back to health. If I can figure out how I should post his kitten pictures- he was so tiny, and his little nose is running in almost every one!

Terry said...

Dear Lauren...I just got back home, from work and thought I would check on how you are doing..
I always wondered why you didn't post pictures.
I will try to write out some simple instuctions. I hope that you can follow them.
I am not too good at that sort of thing!

1. Click on i power blogger.
2. New Post.
3. Click blue box at top of the box.
4. Box will open that says, "Add image from your computer."
5. Press, "Browse."
6. Box will open that says "Pick Picture"[from your picture folder or even from your documents.]click "Open".
7. Next box, Pick left centre or right.
8. Choose size. I usually choose "large".
Box will appear that says, "Uplaod image."
A little blue rectangle will tell you when the picture is done.
9. Press preview on your message box and you should be able to see the picture, if you like it or not.
10. Write your message as usual and you should be sailing!!

Now can anybody tell me how I can add my favorite blog sites at the side of my blog site?
It is all Latin to me!!

I hope besides that lucky Jack that you will also post a nice picture of yourself little girl!!...Love Terry

Noel said...

Terry, Lauren. I tried putting the instructions on how to add links to the sidebar, but this comment window will not allow for tags to be posted on comments. Sorry. If you want I can email you the instructions. Let me know.
-Noel

Terry said...

On my way to work Noel but here is my email address...shirkie@iaw.com

Hi Lauren-Mary and Jack...!...Love Terry

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Terry-

Thanks for the instructions. I'm not a computer whiz, so I always wanted to post pictures but could never figure out how.
As for posting pictures of myself, I hate the way I look in most pictures, but I'll flip through my pictures and see what I can find!

*L