Sunday, October 15, 2006

Closed-loop vs. Open-loop

As a Human Kinetics major, I’ve spent the past four years studying the human body. As a senior, my courses this year deal with very specific topics of the body and motion. I’m taking one course called “Motor Learning and Control”, and it’s all about how we learn and how muscle systems adapt to learning. Next week is the unofficial midterm week, so I spent the week-end studying. Today I was reading over my text, and I focused on the chapter about control patterns. In class we briefly discussed open- and closed-control loops, but the text went in to the much greater detail. To give a brief definition, an open-control loop is a thought pattern where your body doesn’t have to think about what it’s doing, and your brain doesn’t receive any feedback; a closed-control loop occurs when you actively have to think about every motion, and you consciously receive feedback. That really made me think, not only about the midterm, but about how there are “open-control loop Christians” and “closed-control loop Christians”. I know some people who are “open-control loop Christians”; they just sort of go through the motions, not really thinking about their walk with the Lord. In fact, I was even one for a while (anyone who’s read my testimony will know that!). Thankfully, I found my way back and I’m now very much a “closed-loop control Christian!”.
It really amazes me how the Lord works. I’ve been looking in to taking a course on the book of Mark, so today for my devotions I read through some passages from Mark to prepare me for the course if I end up taking it. I found this passage: “These people honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.” (Mark 7:6-7). That’s exactly what I was thinking about earlier today!

Philippians 4:4 says “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”.

Have a safe week, and remember to rejoice in the Lord!

Rejoicing in Him-

*L

3 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren..That verse in Mark really makes me think,
I am so guilty of this sometimes, I know I am.
Sometimes even in singing a hymn at the meetings, my lips are singing the words but my mind is a thousand miles away and the same goes for when I am praying sometimes.
So many distractions too when I am reading the Bible.
It is just like when I am stopped at a red light.
I just go automatically when it turns green and then I get to thinking, "I didn't even SEE it turn green!
Just an automatic thing.Stop! Go!
I hope that my Christian life is just not an automatic thing.
I would truly love to be a closed hoop Christian like you and Noel are Laruen-Mary.
The younger generation of Christians these days truly amazes me!
Thank you for all your helpful parables little girl...
You truly are a young lady living for her Lord!


Lauren-Mary, I heard you say on David Fisher's blog that you are an Ottawa girl.

When my dad was in the air force, we lived in Uplands Base and we went to Brookfield High School and Glebe Collegiate.
We used to swim in Mooneys Bay and when we were kids the Spark Street Mall had a sreet that you could drive up and down. Billings Bridge Mall was just a little plaza, and I used at work at the Perly Hospital on Barton Street.
Betty worked at the Ottawa Civic Hopsital, on Carling Avenue.
Which part of Ottawa did you live in Lauren-Mary?
I was saved in Ottawa in 1967 at the age of 17, at the little Gospel Hall on River Road.
Well here I go talking too much again..Take care and may the Lord give you a good week!!
Give both of those kitties a little hug from me....Love Terry

Am looking forward to that picture of you!!
You surely have to have at least ONE!!
Maybe swipe one from your family when you are visiting them in Ottawa!! Ha!!

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Terry-

That's so neat that you lived in Ottawa! (It's a small world!). I grew up in Kanata (just west of Ottawa), and still have a lot of family there. My parents still live in the same house that they had when I was born! I know your area well. I have a lot of friends who went to Glebe Collegiate and I was actually offered a summer job working at a summer camp on Uplands Base, (but I ended up taking the youth centre job instead).

Terry said...

Oe wow!! It surely IS a small world Lauren. That would have been neat that you almost worked in Uplands. It was a nice clean air base. The only action I can remember about that air force base was the year that those young terrorists kidnapped and killed Mr.Laporte who was the Labour Minister.At the time this was happening they put weaponed guards at both of the base entrances. Also there were guards on the buses wearing guns. It was a litte scary....Love Terry