Monday, September 11, 2006

Praying and paddling

I'm back from my camping trip! It was...interesting, to say the least! We left Friday morning and just as we got in the water these dark (almost black) clouds appeared in the horizon. About an hour later we were caught in the worst storm I've ever seen. It was raining so hard we couldn't even see ahead of us and had to paddle with our heads down. Since we're up in Northern Ontario, the shore was all rock cliffs and there was nowhere for us to pull the canoes off the water. Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, it started to hail and lighting came crashing down. We were stuck on the water for about ten more minutes until we could find a spot to pull up. Obviously everyone was really scared and I just paddled and prayed the whole time. It was just as we were getting out of our boats that I noticed another girl in the group (a friend of a friend who was invited to come along) was praying out loud. While we were waiting out the storm I had a nice long talk with her and I'm happy to say I've made a new Christian friend! We found out we actually have a class together this semester, so were going to work on projects together. The rest of the trip wasn't too bad; freezing cold, but nothing that a fire and a few marshmallows couldn't cure!
When I got back from the trip I found out for sure that I'm not coaching this year, so the job hunt continues. I've been praying like mad for something, however it's so great to know the Lord already has my future plans all mapped out!
After four days of canoeing and portaging, I'm exhausted, so it's bed time for Lauren! In closing, the one thing that I stuck out to me over the trip was just how majestic the scenery was. Mallory (the girl I met on the trip) reminded me of this verse:

If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, and your right hand will hold me fast.
- Psalms 139:9-10

God bless-

*L

1 comment:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-mary...I won't be surprised if you never talk to me again. Here, I said it would be a nice sunny weekend and here you had to face a real chiller..Sorry about that, but at least you DID meet a good friend so it does have a silver lining,eh?
And that verse that your friend gave to you is just choice!!!...Love Terry