Sunday, September 17, 2006

My two birthdays

When I was younger I used to get so excited for my birthday. I'd have a countdown which started a month beforehand and the night before I'd never be able to sleep. My past few birthdays have been met with a grudging acceptance- I'm getting older. Each year brings more and more responsibilities and expectations. When you turn five or six, the only expectation of you is that you have proper manners and are well-behaved. By fifteen or sixteen, you're expected to be mature enough to drive a car, have your future more or less mapped out (those university application deadlines are looming!), and at eighteen you're officially considered an adult. Saturday was my 21rst birthday, and of course with it came even more changes and responsibilities- 21 is the cut-off age for me to be on my parents' health insurance and now my car insurance changes too. Gone are the carefree days of wearing a party hat and eating cupcakes every September 16th!
I realize how very blessed I am because I'm lucky my birthday is cause for another celebration- the fact that every year my birthday is not just a marker of another year, but also cause for celebration that I actually have 2 birthdays. In church whenever some has a birthday we also sing about how "born again means salvation; how many have you?" in reference to how the day you accepted the Lord in to your heart is also a "birthday". This birthday I can honestly say that when my friends toasted me at dinner, I not only toasted to my 21rst birthday but also to the fact that I have a second birthday, one that guarantees me everlasting and eternal life!

Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade- kept in heaven for you.
- 1 Peter 1:3-4

Have a great week!

*L

4 comments:

Terry said...

Happy Birthday sweet girl and may your year be a good one as you live for your Lord who has given to you two birthdays!!..Love Terry

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Terry-

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I definitely plan on living this year for the Lord!

*L

Noel said...

I found your blog by accidentally clicking on the "Next blog" button. I've read most of your posts and I have to say I'm impressed by your maturity. You are undoubtedly a shining example for others to follow. I only wish I could say the same about my soon-to-be ex.
My first act when I get up in the morning is to read your verses. They always inspire me -- especially Frank Outlaw. I always look forward to new posts.
In Him,
*N

Lauren-Mary said...

Hi Noel-

Just wanted to say thanks for your comment! Please keep coming back and reading, and I'll be sure to check out your blog too.

*L