Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"booklet Bible" vs. the real Bible

Well, if I was computer-savy enough to know how, I'd be putting a very long row of sheepish/embarrassed smiley faces for not posting in ages. Friday I was determined to get all my work done so I could relax all week-end, which is why I didn't end up posting. Then I spent the whole week-end doing absolutely nothing. I watched TV, went for a walk, read my Bible...and didn't crack open a textbook once! I don't know what came over me; I just had two incredibly lazy days. My brain really wasn't working too well, so each time I tried to write something to post, everything that I wrote sounded awful. But I'm back, so I'll try to get back to posting on a more consistent basis.

Monday morning I joined my classmates in a flurry of typing and printing as the official teacher's college application package was released. 39 pages- my poor printer had to take a break halfway through printing it! Of course it's all written in tiny print, so reading it is taking hours. It's so frustrating to read because every little detail is crucial. We've all been wandering around with the booklet in our hands, reading frantically every chance we get. One of my classmates remarked today that the booklet will be her Bible for the next two months. Even though we all laughed and agreed, I couldn't help but think in my head that I don't want my booklet to be my Bible. Sure, it's important to me and I know I'll be spending hours flipping through it in the coming months, but what I want my life to depend on is the Lord and his Word. That's the book I want to make sure to read everyday, and that's the book I want to base my life on. Plus, I'm lucky that it's a much more interesting read than paragraphs and paragraphs about admission averages, profiles and deadlines. The real Bible speaks of only one admission requirement: asking the Lord into our hearts. As I stress over my teacher's college deadlines, I can reassure myself by thinking that I've already met the most important requirement!

I've already used this verse before, but I think it applies to today too:

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.
- Psalms 119:105

Love In Christ;
*L

4 comments:

Terry said...

You are a good girl Lauren-mary. Dedicated, hard working and compassionate!! Living for your Lord. May He truly bless you!!...Love Terry

I am so glad that you went over to "see" David. He is such an inspiration to Bernie and me...but don't you DARE tell him I told him so. We don't want to swell his head too much,eh?
And keep on bugging him about that book.
You, me and Julie!!
Two youngsters, and an oldster!!
And you know what Lauren-mary?.. The Bible says,
"....a threefold cord is not quickly broken~" Ecc.4:12b

Anonymous said...

Aha: I caught you talking behind my back. Terry, you better ask for forgiveness. Lauren May, thanks for your comment regarding Mike. I'm very proud of him. I glad you got the gig as sports editor of the campus paper. It's amazing how the Lord has His people in every concievable place, bearing testimony to Him.

Have a great weekend and, don't listen to Terry, unless of course she asks you to send a note to me.

Seriously, the "Fisher connection" of blogging buddies is a group of like-minded believers who love Jesus and want to make Him known to others.

God bless! I'm getting my I V tube removed in a few minutes when the home care nurse arrives.

Hallelujah!

David Fisher

P. S. I've signed in as "anonymous" otherwise I can't comment on blogs unless they are Blogger beta

Anonymous said...

Oops! I just re-read my comment and notice at least two mistakes. Oh well, you'll forgive me.

In His care,

David

Lauren-Mary said...

Yes...you caught us!
Thanks for your comments! It IS interesting how the Lord has us in all different places. It seems that lately no matter I'm doing I seem to meet another believer; one who supports me and provides much needed fellowship.
I count the "Fisher connection" as one of my many blessings! Your writings have encouraged me and inspired me to continue to study the Bible and follow the Lord.
Congrats on having the IV tube removed!

God bless-

*Lauren