Sunday, December 24, 2006

What happened to Christmas spirit?

I’m back in Ottawa for Christmas, and it has been a crazy past two days! Christmas dinner is being held at our house this year, so my parents have been frantically preparing food and cleaning the house. My attempt to help my mom cook just ended with me being in the way, so I ended up running errands.
There’s no a speck of snow in sight, so it looks like it’s going to be a green Christmas. I heard on the news that the lack of snow is causing a decrease in the Christmas cheer people feel, and donations to charities are down. I definitely experienced that today. While running errands, at two different stores people completely cut me off in line. One woman actually cut right in front of me as I was about to put my purchases on the counter. I couldn’t believe it! Usually in Kanata we’re pretty friendly, but people would crash right in to me and not even say anything. Then, when I was in the parking lot, a man driving an SUV backed out of a spot, hit the car parked behind him and just took off! Didn’t even stop to see if the car he hit was ok, and there was a significant CRUNCH when he hit. There was a couple getting into their van close to my spot, and I overheard the wife say “can you believe that guy?” and the husband say “I know, so much for Christmas spirit”. I just couldn’t wait for all the madness to be over!
Of course, it was just as crazy at home. There wasn’t anything left for me to do, so to get out of the way I went hiking for a few hours on some trails close to my house. People were out walking their dogs and taking kids for a hike, and every single person I passed on the trail greeted me with a “Merry Christmas!”. So, maybe the Christmas spirit is still alive!

“And she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn”.
- Luke 2: 7

~Merry Christmas~

Celebrating His birth-

*L

4 comments:

Terry said...

Merry Chrsitmas yourself little girl...and I know exactly what you mean about the Christmas Spirit.
When I was taking my Sunday School kids home today, the traffic was just wild!!.Everybody cutting everybody else off...."Gotta' get there FIRST!!"
It was a jungle!!
I just wonder how many of them had even gone to church or Sunday School that day.
They are completly forgetting the reason for Christmas!...Jesus is the reason.

Anyways you have a good one Lauren-mary. I can never remember a green Christmas in Ottawa!! That is really something. I would prefer a green one in Welland too but I know that there are so many little children off from school for a couple of weeks that would love to go skating and tobogganing so I will wish for them a white Christmas and maybe a couple weeks worth of snow. And I am being generous too.
After THAT I want it all to melt!! Ha!! Love Terry

Laura said...

Merry Christmas to you, Lauren-Mary. I was out shopping here in Peterborough yesterday and it was also a bit crazy! I can understand the dissapointment of a green-Christmas, Christmas just isnt the same without a play in the snow!

God Bless you and your family!

Saija said...

Merry Merry Christmas to you!

i think maybe people feel stressed and are living in their own little bubble for abit ... maybe?

just wishing you the joy of the season as you are most likely gathered with your familiy as i type this!

Noel said...

If it weren't for the madness, we probably would not be able to appreciate the "little blessings" we take for granted. You are very blessed...more than you know.
Have a joyous holiday season, dear friend.