Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Season of Loss, A Lifetime of Forgiveness

A few weeks ago I went shopping at a second hand bookstore and came home with quite the loot. Showing an uncharacteristic restraint, I managed to ignore the stack while I was studying, but today (and by today I mean Friday, because I’m posting after midnight!) I took the afternoon off from reading textbooks and decided to read for fun. A while ago I heard about a book called “A Season of Loss, A Lifetime of Forgiveness”, and I've been wanting to read it ever since, so I was excited when I found a copy at the store. It was such a great book- it tells the story of late NHL-er Dan Snyder and how his family was able to come to terms with his death.
The book really made me think about the power of forgiveness. I think that forgiving someone for something that they’ve done is a really hard thing to do. Looking back at the bad things people have done to me, I’m not too bad with the forgiveness part, but I’m bad at the forgetting part. I can only truly “forgive and forget” with my very close friends.
There’s a comedy movie that my friends and I love to watch, and one of the main characters is a rock star who has no talent what so ever. She writes a song about forgiveness, and the main chorus line is “Forgiveness- it’s more than saying sorry”. Truly forgiving someone is more than just saying “it’s OK”. I’ll be praying that I’ll be able to show people forgiveness. It amazes me that the Lord will always forgive me. We are so lucky that the Lord forgives us, time and time again.

I just looked at the clock and I didn’t realize that it was so late, so I’m going to cut this short!


“For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you”.
- Matthew 6:14


“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you”.
- Ephesians 4:32

In His Love;

*L

1 comment:

Terry said...

Oh boy...I guess it WAS past midnight Lauren-mary. Your posting says ten to three!!
Well I couldn't sleep so I thought I would check up on you and Noel.
I am glad that you wrote such a good posting.
I am guilty of not forgetting too. It is easy to forgive but like you said that forgetting is such a hard thing. Everytime I get in a bad mood, I just get to thinking of the wrong that person did and I get mad all over again at the injustice of the whole thing!!
Good thing the Lord is not like that, eh? With us...
He forgives and then He does something that is even harder than forgetting.... He REMEMBERS it no more!!
And He just keeps on forgiving and forgiving and forgiving!!

Have a great weekend my friend... Love Terry