Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Making the Time

This afternoon I was studying at the kitchen table and Jack decided he needed attention. He weaved in and out of the table legs meowing, but I just ignored him and kept working. Finally, he got sick of begging, and went for a much more obvious approach: he jumped up on the table, knocked the pen out of my hand and plunked himself down on my notes. He looked so cute and I haven’t had the time to play with him lately, so I took a break and we played with his toys for a while. That reminded me again of how easy it is to forget about the important things and how easy it is to over-schedule. Sure, playing with my cat versus studying for an exam is a no-brainer. There’s another kind of studying that I sometimes don’t make time for- my Bible. It seems that every time I start cutting down the time I spend on my devotions and readings, the Lord always manages to send a gentle reminder.
I finished studying the chapter I was on and then grabbed my Bible. Jack cuddled up with me and we made the time to study my Bible. It was such a nice break; I hardly spent any time studying my Bible yesterday, and I missed it. The day felt weird without it.
So, how do you make time for the Lord? I guess I have to thank Jack for the subtle reminder that I’ve been neglecting some things lately! Although I have a feeling the Lord might have been behind that one.
As for my presentation last Friday: it went remarkably well. My voice came back somewhat, but luckily the room was big enough that we needed to a microphone, so that helped. I usually don’t get nervous doing public speaking, but I was shaking when the person before me was talking. I just closed my eyes and prayed like crazy, and I really felt like the Lord was giving me strength as I spoke. (And I had even more luck, because I managed to escape relatively unscathed when I had to defend my research with questions from peers and the board of professors!).
I can all things through Christ who strengthens me
– Phillipians 4:13

In Him-

*L

3 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-mary...Nice to hear you in here again!
Very good message here. About God's gentle reminder, that is so nice and even better that you listened to it!

I think your presentation went well because somebody was praying for you. He said he would and he DID!
Noel Lewis is quite a good friend to have!

I think that lucky Jack was reading your blog and he was looking for that hug from Bernie and me...I hope you gave it to him Lauren-mary!!....Love Terry

Lauren-Mary said...

Yes, Noel is a good friend- as are you Terry!
Of course I gave Jack a hug! In fact, he's been getting a lot of hugs lately, and he's becoming quite a spoiled little kitty. No matter how much love I give him though, he returns it ten fold. The little guy has so much love in his heart!

Terry said...

You are such a sweetheart Lauren-mary!!...love Terry