Thursday, January 04, 2007

Minnows and the Value of Patience

A friend and I have decided to do a small Bible study on some of the traits we feel are important as Christians. We met up a few days ago and discussed the importance of patience.
After our meeting, I thought about one day last summer when I took little Diane to the beach. The first few days that we chose to go it poured rain, so we kept having to postpone the trip. Finally a day came when it was beautiful and sunny out, so we packed up our bags, grabbed a towel and headed out to the beach. After a few hours of beach volleyball and tossing around a Frisbee, we decided to go swimming. Diane spotted some minnows swimming around in the shallow part of the water. She was bound and determined to catch one. Diane armed herself with pails, small plastic shovels, and eventually a Ziploc bag and set to work. I helped for a bit and then sat and enjoyed the rays of sun the Lord had provided us with! This was around eleven in the morning, and apart from a small lunch break, Diane diligently worked on catching a minnow until I had to drag her out of the water at four that afternoon.
At around three that afternoon, Diane still hadn’t caught anything. Three boys arrived at the beach with their babysitter and came bolting in to the water with their own pails. I was sure that all the running would have scared away any potential minnows for Diane to catch. Instead, one of the boys threw his pail in to the water, looked into it and said “Hey, I caught a minnow!!”. He’d been in the water no more than two minutes! Diane just looked at the boy, looked at me, mouthed the word “WHAT?!” and rolled her eyes. I couldn’t help it; I had to laugh. An hour later we still didn’t have any luck, but it was time to head home. (Well, actually, she caught one minnow but it was dead, so Diane decided that that didn’t count).
I think we’ve all had times like Diane, where we’ve worked really hard and been really patient, and then something fantastic happens to someone else really quickly. It can be so discouraging! But the Lord tells us to never be discouraged, for He had a plan. There are also many references throughout His Word, telling us to be patient. At a time when a lot of people are making resolutions for the new year, I took a look at my own ability to be patient. I can be incredibly patient with other people, but I have almost NO patience at all with myself!
My friend and I finished our study by reading the following verse:

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love”.
- Ephesians 4:2

In His Love;

*L

4 comments:

dRaGoNfLy WiNgS said...

Hi,

Just fluttering by through Terry's blog.

Your story reminded me of labourers who worked in the field. All received equal pay although some were there from morn while others came later.

But that's what life is like. Sometimes, it doesn't seem fair. More importantly, i believe, is our reaction towards it. If we start with the right attitude, then no matter what the outcome, we will treasure the lessons learnt on the way. :D

Have a blessed year!!

Terry said...

Hi Lauren-mary..What a posting!
I had to work today and when I got home I fell promply to sleep.
When I got to the computer and came along to your blog, I was really encouraged to read this and I think that it will be a help to others who visit here too.

I, too am so impatient sometimes and it is some hard battle to overcome by times!!

Have you heard from little Diane lately?
I am sure that she is one little girl who really loves you and appreciates all the time you and she have spent together.
She will never forget even when she is older, the life lessons that you have taught her..

Well take care and say hi to Lucky Jack and the Beanstalk for me!! Give that naughty kitty a little hug for me...love Terry

Hi dRaGoNfLy WiNgS.. You are fluttering a long way from home!!
You have now landed on the Lauren-mary connection!
And you haven't found any snow to take back with you,eh?

Noel said...

Awesome post.
Reading stories like this motivates people like me. You'll make a fine fisher of men yet.

Lauren-Mary said...

Welcome dragonfly wings!

Terry- I hear from Diane every once in a while. She started a new school this year, but she likes it. She acually just celebrated her birthday over the Christmas holidays!
As for Jack, he's doing well and seems happy to have his mommy back. I think he enjoyed his time over the break though, because he got a chance to play with all the other cats! From what I hear, he was relatively well behaved while I was away (he climbed the Christmas tree a few times, but thankfully didn't break any ornaments!).