Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Seventeen

When I was growing up, one of my favourite songs was about a girl who was seventeen and thought she had her life planned out. The song focused on how naïve the girl was, and how when she would grow up she would realize how silly she was when she was seventeen. When I was in my teens I never realized how true the song was. When I was seventeen I definitely thought I had everything figured out- I wanted to work for a sports team or be a writer. Because of my late birthday I was seventeen when I started university, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do after my four years were up. Well, I’m in my fourth year and in my twenties, so even though logic would predict that I should have “it all planned out”, I’m just starting to realize that I really, really don’t.
This afternoon I sat down with all my applications for all my options after this year is over, and it suddenly hit me that I have absolutely no clue which option I want the most. I’ve always been incredibly organized and had everything planned and mapped out, and now I don’t.
I knew from the time I was little I wanted to be one thing- a vet. As much as I love cats and dogs, I wanted to do large animals, and eventually open my own farm and practice. That fell through (which is a long story, which I’ll save for another day). When I was fourteen I started to help coaching the younger kids on my swim team, and when I was sixteen I got promoted and got my own group, then when I came to university I got hired to coach here for the city team. I completely fell in love with coaching and teaching, and most of my jobs have involved one of the two. I’ve worked my way up through the ranks and I’ve been working on my national coaching levels, and I really love it. I’m not coaching this year, and it’s incredible how much I miss it.
Now, switch over to my other career option- journalism. Ever since I was little I’ve loved reading, and that led to a love of writing. I’ve written my whole life, and was the editor of my high school newspaper. After a lot of hard work, I got the job this year of sports editor for my campus paper. Even though I’ve done a lot of writing in the past, this is the first time I’ve been paid to do it. The job’s been challenging, but in a good way, and with every article I get more and more comfortable with the job. Earlier this week I received an e-mail asking if I would interested in covering a story about a presentation the GM of the Peterborough Petes is making on campus later this week, and I jumped at the opportunity. This will be my biggest story yet, so I’m excited! I can definitely see myself doing this for the rest of my life.
Sitting beside the two big piles of applications to teachers college and journalism school is a mish-mash of applications for other random programs. I decided to get my degree in Human Kinetics so I could eventually work as a physical trainer for a pro sports team, and even though I somewhat changed my mind, I’m still applying just to see what happens. So, right now I have no clue which path I want to take. Now more than ever I’m so happy that one day I stumbled across Jeremiah 29:11. Even though I, for the first time in my life, have no idea what’s happening next, I know the Lord has everything all planned out. All I need to do is pray and trust.
I know I’ve been rambling, but I just had to write this all out, in the hopes it would help clear things up! I just re-read what I wrote, and I actually do have my life together, but I just think today was one of those overwhelming days. Oh, to be seventeen again!

“For I know the plans I have for you” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not harm you; plans to give you hope and a future”.
- Jeremiah 29:11


Trusting in Him-

*L

4 comments:

Terry said...

This is quite a dilemma Lauran-mary.
But that is some scripture verse that the Lord has given to you.

I know you are good with animals and judging by your postings, children like Diane seem to be drawn to you and you would surely be a good and understanding teacher.

As for your writing..it is all just excellent and so intersting to read.
You captivate the reader.

You would like to be 17 again?
Well when I was 17, I wrote myself a letter addressed to myself at 25.
When I opened that letter when I was 25... Boy of boy..Hardly ANYTHING that I had written about my dreams came true!

I wanted to be a teacher too Lauren-mary but when I was 18, I got an after school job at an old folks convalescence hospital, and from that moment on, I wanted my life's work to be looking after these special people.
That is exactly what I did until I got married and became a housewife!
Well twenty five years after, I started working again with the aged and for the last nine years?
Well let's put it this way..I am a old person myself and am STILL looking after the elderly!!

So Lauren-mary..Rest assured, God DOES have His plans for you and it pleases Him so much that you are willing to go any way that He will lead you.
Your willingness is half of the battle!!

Ha!! On my birthday this year when I was 57, I opened that letter again!
And you know what Laren-Mary..
It wouldn't be so bad to be 17 again!.....Love Terry

Noel said...

When I was in the Marines, I took a buddy with me to a dance club to get his mind off his recent break-up. As the evening began, my friend had an over-abundance of ladies he could have asked to dance with. Instead, he chose to wait until his “ideal” girl came along. Well, as the club was about to close, he never found the right girl and he ended up going home without having danced at all.
Whatever you chose, remember that you are making a lifetime choice. Make sure you chose something you will enjoy and not merely tolerate. Nevertheless, as human beings, we still have to put one foot in front of the other and we still have to make our own choices. Right or wrong, our decisions will never lead our paths away from God if our hearts are in the right place. So chose wisely, but don’t wait. Don’t let the “evening” pass without taking a chance.

You’re an intelligent girl with a wonderful head on her shoulders. Whatever decision you make will be a good one as long as God is in your heart.

Noel said...

Oops!
I just read what I wrote and realized "chose" is an obsolete form of "choose" as well as its past tense... sorry.

Anonymous said...

Lauren-Mary:

When you're speaking with the Petes' GM, throw my name out there and see what his reaction is. Jeff Twohey has been very supportive of my chapels with the Peterborough Petes and has encouraged me in many ways over the years.

God bless you, my friend!

David Fisher