Monday, February 05, 2007

Walk and Talk

I can’t believe we are already into February! I knew I hadn’t posted here for a while, but I thought it was just a couple of days, not more than a week! Time has just been flying by lately.
At the end of last week I received a really encouraging letter from a woman that I met at the Women In Sport Conference I attended last week-end. We sat at the same table and we had talked about how easy it is to take on a lot of projects and next thing you know you’re swamped with work. At the end of her e-mail she said “make sure you remember to take some time off, my dear, and remember that there are only 24 hours in a day”. Unfortunately, it seems I didn’t really take her advice!
This morning one of my contributing journalists bumped in to me and asked if I had a few moments to go over some articles she’s working on for me. For the first time in my life I actually had to use the phrase “only if you can walk and talk”. I’m not a “walk and talk” person, I’m a “stop and chat” person! I felt so badly afterwards that I have so much going on right now that I don’t even have time to stop and help someone who I’m supposed to be guiding and helping.
Part of the reason things have been so busy lately is because our assistant editor and Arts & Entertainment editor at the paper both quit. All the editors get together to put the paper together, and with all the editors working it takes us hours. With an original editorial staff of only five, being down two made a big difference. After a week of working late into the night, we got the paper out though. At this point in the year, finding people to fill the vacant positions looks close to impossible.
I’ve been praying lately about finding a better paying summer job because I’m worried about making it through next year because every single teacher’s college application guide said that students will be so busy that it’s highly recommended that they not take on a part time job. If I were to take on the Arts and Entertainment section as well as Sports, it would be double the paycheque. Unfortunately, it would also be double the time commitment.
You know how they say that one of the keys to successfully attaining your goals is to verbalize your goal, that way it makes you more accountable? Well, that’s what I’m doing. I’m going to make myself take some time off (time to breathe and relax!), more time with my Bible, and more consistent posts! There, I’ve said it!
I’ll end on a good note: some of the first round rejection letters to teacher’s college have already gone out and so far, none of come for me!! We don’t officially find out until April, but it’s still nice to know that my applications are still being considered.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own.
- Matthew 6:34

In His Love;

*L

2 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-mary...You do not have to apologize for not putting in lots of postings.
One of your postings is usually packed full of such good things that it is worth coming here to read it over and over!

This one here should do for at least a week!!
I know I have to be told more then once not be worrying about the 'morrow!
My worst worrying is about people and I know it doesn't do any good to worry...It is far better to pray!

I am glad that your applications are still being considered.
I think that you would make a fine teacher Lauren-mary!!

Well it is pretty late so I will say good night for now and hope you have a less busy rest of the week and do take more time to breath.
I WOULD tell you take time to smell the roses but alas,the whole of Ontario is just chuck full of that cold white stuff and not a flower in sight except for YOU Lauren-mary!!
God bless and take care....Love Terry

Noel said...

Hi Lauren.
Thought I'd drop a line to say that I hope things are going well for you.