Friday, June 15, 2007

An Interview with God

I have a meeting with the director of my deparment next week to discuss if there any openings for me in the fall. To prepare for the meeting, I've been organizing my job portfolio. I found a copy of one of my old self-evaluations, outlining my strengths and weaknesses. I don’t think I’ve ever been to a job interview where I wasn’t asked this question. When I had my interview for my newspaper job, my editor even phrased the question as “and now the question we all knew what coming…what is your greatest weakness?”. I dread this question, because it’s such a weighted question- give the wrong answer and the job could go to someone else.
I couldn’t help but think about what would happen if we actually had to audition or interview to be Christians. What if we had to go one day to have a chat with God about why we should be saved? What are the strengths and weaknesses you would present to Him? I’ve picked two of each.

Strengths:
1) I’m very organized.
All my files are alphabetized, my closet is colour coordinated, when writing on my calendar or agenda I have a specific colour for each event (work, school stuff, fun stuff, reminders, etc), and everything has it’s spot. I’m not as rigid as I sound, and I won’t flip out if someone placed the “Bills” file between “school notes” and “taxes”, I just find that life flows so much better when everything is organized.
I like to organize my devotions. I keep a journal chronicling what I’ve read, any verses that really stuck out at me and any thoughts that I’ve been having. (Not only does this keep me on track with my devotions and readings, but it’s fun to flip through old journals from years ago!).
2) I’m very non-judgemental.
I hate it when people judge others, and I tend to very rarely judge people. As a result, I think that this makes me easy to talk to and confide in. Through working at the youth centre and coaching I’ve had a lot of great talks with kids who are going through problems, and even random classmates have confided to me in the past. I think as Christians it’s important for us to be accepting of others, and to not judge each other.

And now that I’ve made myself sound so wonderful (!!) ….

Weaknesses:
1) I always have a “full mouth”.
You know the expression “don’t bite off more than you can chew”? I usually don’t take on more than I can handle, but I am usually busy. At any given time I’ll be juggling participating in two different sports, hanging out with friends, a job (or two this summer!), classes and homework (not anymore!!), reading, writing, playing with my pets … finding the time to actually spend time with God, in prayer and in study, is often hard to do. (See, my organizational skills aren’t sounding quite so crazy anymore!).
2) I get tunnel-vision.
When I was still in school, most of my energy and focus went into class, my research and my job, and I didn’t work on anything else until these three were completely taken care of. Were those things important? Sure! But so are my friends, actually making a nutritious meal…and my relationship with Christ! Can I afford to take half an hour off each day to open my Bible? Yes, but sometimes it’s hard for me to do. I definitely need to work on not letting other important things slide.

While a relationship with Christ goes much deeper than organizing devotions, I still find it interesting how our individual differences can reflect where we fall short in our walk with God, and where we are strong. Luckily for us, God doesn’t care about our organizational skills or how busy we are, He loves us for who we are. He created us with our own individual strengths and weaknesses. That’s a bit of a re-assurance as I brace myself for that inevitable question next week.

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth".
- 2 Timothy 2:15

Love In Christ, from one very organized and very busy Christian-

*L

12 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-mary..I remember my very first job interview was for the very first Tamblyns Hardware Store that they had in Ottawa.
When the man interviewed me I was quite nervous and when he asked me how I was in math, I just blurted out the truth.."Oh I failed grade twelve math TWICE!!
He gave me one look and said, "Well that's all right, you don't have to do the adding yourself, the cash register will do the job!
Ha!! I was hired out of hundreds of people!!
Sad to say though when I was called to go in ,I had aleady got a job at the Ottawa Perly Hospital and at the age of 18, the Lord had put me exactly where He wanted to be;
Working with the elderly!!

I pray that your interview will go well Lauren-mary and I am sure that the Lord is going to put you right where He wants YOU to be too!!...Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Lauren-mary...
Have you landed a newspaper job, yet, or are you still interviewing for one?
I have another newspaper contrbution to my credit, so that makes 4 written and 2 photography in 4 years...oh, right, they are all unpaid pieces, but I love every opportunity I get to have a piece published! The gentleman who runs our local paper is a personal friend of ours, so that's how we get in. I think in media it's all about connections and contacts.

I pray that the Lord will bless you with the perfect job!

From,
the little pilgrim pal

Lauren-Mary said...

Haha Terry- that's a great story! My meeting is later this week, so I'll keep you posted.

Hebrews 11:1- so far no newspaper job, but I've actually been contacted about a few freelance opportunities. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it would give my portfolio of published works some more diversity. I've kept files of all my work, but right now I'm working on putting together a professional portfolio because I'm looking into a few Masters programs for journalism, and a print journalism course too. I'll keep you posted if I have anymore news :)
Congrats on being published too! Up until I got hired as the editor of the sports section for my campus paper everything I did was unpaid, but the experience was worth it! Do you think you'll go into journalism or writing?

Terry said...

Hey Lauren-mary...We are all waiting on the sides to hear how your interview went!
We have all been praying!
Hebrews 11:1 even stayed home till 1000 and was praying for you.! Pilgrim David and Passing-thru were keeping heaven busy too with all their prayers!...Love Terry

Terry said...

Boy! What did they do Lauren-mary?
Hired you right on the spot and then snatched you right away from us all??..Love Terry

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lauren-Mary

Thank you for posting the news up on the Pals blog.
About your question...I've been encouraged by so many to pursue journalism, but my eduaction and experience has been in Business for years, so I think I should stick with that. I am always ready to write or cover an event o course...and I'll always take a free press pass to a game! The news director has offered me a pass to an Impact (soccer) game, but so far he hasn't followed through with a date. I guess that means if I go, I have to write, and I think in that case I shoul stay home, because I like reading his soccer articles better than for me to try to write one! :) I have mainly written on things close to my heart: my parents, an event I went to, the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11...and the photos I've had published were of the event I attended and the local celebrations after Italy won the World Cup. I still carry an Italian flag with me, and my favorite Italian phrase is Forzza Italia...and no, I have not a drop of Italian blood in me!

How many years difference is there between your sister and you? If I figured correctly you and your sister are a year older than my sister and I. Do you have any other siblings?

Praying for you daily,
Lil Pilgrim Pal

Terry said...

Dear Lauren-mary.
I hope everything is going well with you these days!!
How is Jack getting along living in the big city of Ottawa?
Lots of trees to be climbing there that's for sure!!..God's blessings
...Love Terry

Pilgrim Pals said...

Dear Lauren-mary..
Could you drop me a line at
shirkie@iaw.com
I have to ask you something important!...Love Terry

By tommorrow?[Sunday]

David Warren Fisher said...

Lauren-Mary:

Thanks for your comments and birthday wishes today. I was getting worried. I hadn't heard from you for awhile.

You need to post more often, my friend. Your entries are always excellent and we miss it when you're not keeping us up to date.

There, that's your gentle admonishment for tonight, dear friend.

We will wait with eager anticipation.

Lots of love,

David

Anonymous said...

Lauren-Mary,

I just thought I'd let you know we (my sister and I) really miss your posts on Pals and here...please write again when you get a chance. How's your grandmother doing?

Lil Pilgrim Pal

David Warren Fisher said...

Lauren-Mary:

WE MISS YOU! We miss your posts and your comments. How are you doing? Terry commented this morning that she has missed you.

Let us know what's happening, dear friend!

THANKS!

Lots of love,

David and the Pilgrim Pals

Terry said...

Just popping by to say hi "Smiley'!!
Hope everything is going well for you these days.
God's blessings...love Terry